JOIN OUR TEAM
We aim always to recruit the best people for the job, whether we are looking for people to join our contract cleaning, security guarding or head office teams. Staff turnover is low for our industry; we are lucky to have a core team that is long-serving, committed, loyal and hard working. We recognise and encourage talent – many of our team move from operational jobs into supervisory and management roles.
- Hand-picked and carefully matched: All our staff – at head office and in our contract cleaning and security guarding teams – are hand-picked by us. We always aim to recruit the best for our business. Staff are carefully matched with the client and the premises so we can be sure to deliver the service the client needs.
- Legal workers: All potential staff must provide us with proof of identity (passport or ID card), a visa, National Insurance number, an address and a recent bank statement (issued within the last three months). We run Home Office checks, using passport readers, and follow the latest Home Office guidance for other checks designed to identify scams. No-one is allocated to a job before all these checks have been completed and we are satisfied they are legal workers. Everyone is employed on a PAYE contract.
- DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks: If your role involves working where children or vulnerable adults are present, such as in schools and healthcare organisations, you must hold a current DBS certificate. We run enhanced DBS with list checks on all contract cleaning and security guarding staff whose work involves contact with children or vulnerable adults. No-one is allocated to a job with children or vulnerable adults before the barred list check has been done and their suitability has been verified; most will not be appointed until the full DBS check has been done. All our operational managers and supervisors hold current DBS certificates. We run re-checks every three years on core staff who continue to work on contracts involving children or vulnerable adults.
- Language expectations: Being able to understand client questions and requests, and to respond efficiently, are essential. All our staff must be able to communicate in English to an acceptable minimum standard and all job applicants must pass our basic English test before we process their application. We provide free English lessons for staff who want to improve their English beyond this basic level.
- Training and development: Contract cleaning staff will be trained to use chemical products correctly, how to deal with accidents or incidents (RIDDOR and less serious incidents) and how to work safely in what is a very physical job. Security guards are BSIA accredited. All contract cleaning and security guarding staff are trained in lone and out of hours working procedures. We encourage all our staff to improve and develop new skills; our training courses are designed to fit the needs of the business and offer development opportunities for our staff. The courses vary from improving spoken English to leadership and management. If one thing stands out, it is that talented people progress within Lakethorne, moving from operational jobs into supervisory and management roles.
- Pay and benefits: We meet all our obligations for pay, benefits, health and safety and welfare. We pay no less than the minimum wage and will try to pay above it but this depends on the agreement we have with the client concerned; our aim is always to offer better pay and terms and conditions than our competitors as we know this attracts better workers. We recognise the growing support for the Living Wage and discuss the issue with new and long-term clients.
- Applying for a job: Current vacancies are listed on the right hand side of this page; each includes information about the application process for that specific job. If you would like to be considered for a job as a cleaner or security guard, either complete the form on the right hand side of this page or visit us on any Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 9am and 5pm to register an interest. We will contact you when a suitable vacancy arises.
For more information on how to join our team please contact us on 020 8810 6767